I lost my hard drive and was trying to install Windows 8 from a Windows USB boot disk. When came time to activate I was greeted with “Code: 0xC004F061 your key can only be used for an upgrade”. I bought the upgrade license during the launch sale but din’t know about this restriction.
Microsoft’s solution was to first install Windows 7 and then run the Upgrade assistant again to upgrade to Windows 8. That would take too long!
Some Googling later and a solution was found. A simple registry hack. Here’s how,
- “Windows + r ” and type “regedit” to bring up the registry.
- Navigate to
- Double click on “MediabootInstall”
- Change the value from “1” to “0”. Exit the registry.
- Hit the “Windows” key and search for “cmd” . Right click and select “Run as Administrator”.
slmgr /rearmand hit press enter. Wait for confirmation.
- Try to active again. Should work now.
Picture Guide below.